Saturday, August 13, 2011

Duluth, the city that I love!

Well those of you who know me and read this know we took an unexpected trip to the city of my birthplace, Duluth, Minnesota. Having kids now I see the city with a whole new perspective. The week was short and stressful but we squeezed in as much as we could. I really look forward to bringing my kids back both for a summer vacation and a winter one because they need to see snow the RIGHT way!




I've always thought the Aerial Lift Bridge was cool but to see it through my kids eyes made it even more special. The port of Duluth is a busy port, especially in the summer. In order for the big ore boats, or the lake cruise boats, or even the sail boats to get out of the harbor they must go under the Aerial Lift Bridge. We were trying to leave the island to get back to the hotel in this picture above when one of the cruise boats was coming back.




One night we had dinner down in Canal Park, where the bridge was. We must have watched that bridge go up and down two or three times. They announced as we were leaving there was one of the large ore boats on it's way in and that is a big deal because the bridge has to go all the way up and stay up for a long time. When we got back to our hotel we drove to the top of the parking deck and were able to watch the boat go under the bridge at night. What a beautiful sight, in a beautiful city!




The word "lake" is kind of misleading if you have never stood on the shores of the vastness of Lake Superior. It covers over 30,000 square miles making it the biggest of the Great Lakes, it's deepest point is almost 1,500ft making it the deepest, and also the coldest! But what a magnificent sight! Even on the bad weather days it's beautiful! It can look smooth as a sheet of glass or have white caps and waves ocean-like.


The kids had a blast climbing on the rocks in Canal Park. Logan was so proud of himself that he actually posed for a great picture! Behind him you can see the lighthouse that marks the entrance to the Aerial Lift Bridge.




Another thing I miss about Minnesota is Old Dutch potato chips. They are SO SO good! The regular ripple chips come in a box with 2 bags inside and oh how I could eat the whole thing! They also have a very yummy Dill Pickle chip. Don't knock it till you try it! SO GOOD!


Despite the circumstances, I was glad I was able to show my kids by birth city. We did a few more things that I will blog about shortly. I just wanted to show you my town! Can't wait to visit again and explore even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment