Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Kayaking!

It's a rare occasion that Sean and I do anything without the kids and when we do it is usually dinner and a movie or sometimes the exciting shopping trip with no kids.  Our 9th anniversary was coming and I had yet to get him anything (it falls within days of Father's Day so it's always hard to find two decent gifts!) when I checked my email and found an awesome LivingSocial deal for a sunset kayaking tour for two! Now this is totally Sean and so totally NOT me! But since I have lost almost 50 pounds I feel like I have the ability to do these more physical activities.  



If you have ever ventured putting any part of your body into the Pacific Ocean then you can understand the need for the wet suits.  Most of the people on the tour opted not to but for as cold as I was when we did finish I sure am glad we did!!




I'll tell ya, when our tour guide Nick was teaching us to paddle and what we needed to do to get past the surf (which was pretty bad at the time) I was ready to chicken out and run but I didn't! And once we were past the surf which really wasn't that hard because someone from the company pushes you out to waist deep and you only have to go a little further, it was SO worth it!


It is June in San Diego and the marine layer was already rolling in so the June Gloom was hanging overhead but it was still beautiful!!


The houses on "Billionaires Row" are amazing, even more when you learn that due to erosion most of those 15+million dollar homes only have about another 20 years before they have to be torn down or face falling into the ocean.  The most unbelievable thing is that because of the erosion issue these houses cannot get home owners insurance and therefore cannot be mortgaged so they are all cash purchases!




The tour guide took this in front of the La Jolla Caves.  It was so much fun, I'm so glad we did it!




The beauty of God's creation could not be ignored that night! Amazing! We were able to be see the Garibaldi - the official saltwater fish of California, the famous La Jolla Sea Lions, and a ton of pelicans. So awesome to be that close to nature!


Since the earthquake two years ago on Easter the tours of the caves have been limited to the exterior of all but one.  This cave the tour guides actually jump into the water and guide you through as you paddle.  It was amazing the strength of the current going in and out of the cave.  And the water in the cave was very clear, you could clearly see the rocky bottom.  


Inside looking out, A-Mazing!


For years we have been going down to Children's Pool in La Jolla to see the sea lions and seals that make their home there. It is an amazing sight, especially during pupping season.  There were a few very large, very loud sea lions on a rock island that we got pretty close to but the darn disposable waterproof camera doesn't do justice to how close we were to them!
On the way back into shore we paddled through a flock of pelicans that apparently don't have much fear of people because they were very content to just sleep as we paddled on by! We also saw three dolphins not to far from us but there was no way I was getting a picture with the camera I had.  

When we were getting ready to paddle out, standing on the beach all I could think is "I DO NOT WANT TO FALL OUT OF THE BOAT!" We were watching boat after boat come back in and just BITE IT in the surf.  As the guides were instructing on how to "kayak surf" I began to doubt my ability to make it through landing the boat without it tipping over, but hey the tour was over and I'd be ok if it happened going in.  So we were the last boat going in, a mother/daughter boat in front of us had just rolled over and we were laughing at that as the wave PICKED us up and started bringing us in, we leaned back and successfully "surfed" the first wave. The guy on shore waiting to help catch us said "that looked professional!" and then I heard him say "I got you!" and the next thing I know I'm looking at the water, turned 90* and knowing - SHIT I'm going in!!!  And then I wasn't, dude righted me and I rode right on in, while Sean was WALKING next to the boat because he apparently did not hold on for dear life as the boat was turning over.  So of course I will NEVER EVER EVER let him live it down - he fell out and I didn't!! NAN NAN A BOO BOO!!!!! 

It was awesome, I loved it! I'm hooked and will totally be doing this again! Can't wait for the kids to get bug enough and get them out of the water! What an awesome experience and it was a great way to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary!!

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! That is the same tour we did for our 5th! So fun! And I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete