Monday, June 18, 2012

Koolaid Playdough!

It's summertime and that means many hours that need to be filled! My kids are Art Attack experts.  I'm not sure how they stumbled upon it, but they watch episode after episode on YouTube.  They love the idea of making things! Logan has watched tutorials on just about everything and he has always wanted to make playdough but every recipe calls for peanut butter and with Peyton's peanut allergy that just isn't anything we can do.  I stumbled across a blog while playing on Pinterest, 100 Things To Do With Kids This Summer. I picked a few to try out and was excited to see that homemade playdough was an option we could do!

There are many Edible Play Dough recipes, but because of Peyton's allergy our choices were limited.  I chose the Koolaid recipe because it seemed pretty easy and allowed the kids to choose the color of their playdough. The kids each picked a flavor/scent of koolaid for their playdough and to no ones surprise we made lemon-lime (green) and cherry (pink)! Now technically this playdough is edible, however it has a half cup of salt in it so it does not taste good at all, but it smells FANTASTIC!

The kids LOVE their playdough and they are excited mom is letting them use her rolling pin and cookie cutters (something not allowed with real playdough).  It stores up to six months and I'm sure they will get many hours of enjoyment out of it!


2 comments:

  1. Did the koolaide dye their hands?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! And I was so worried about that, I even made them keep it on parchment paper until I was sure it wasn't going to bleed everywhere. Even straight from the pan as I was kneading it, it was sticky but did not discolor my hands. Definitely going to do this again before the end of summer because they love it that much!

    ReplyDelete